US-UK Fulbright Commission—Summer Institutes
The US-UK Fulbright Commission offers special Summer Institutes for US undergraduate citizens to come to the UK on a three, four, five, or six week academic and cultural summer program. Participants will get the opportunity to experience academic training at a highly regarded UK university, explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK and develop their academic ability by improving presentation, research and communication skills. The Summer Institutes cover the majority of participant costs, including round-trip airfare from the US to the UK, tuition and fees at the host university/institution, accommodation and meals and in some cases a small daily allowance.
For a complete list of eligibility requirements, please consult the detailed information provided on the website of the US-UK Fulbright Commission. In general, students should:
- Be U.S. citizens.
- Be a freshman or sophomore at the start of the grant.
- Be in good health.
At Washington State University, students typically:
- Carefully determine their eligibility for this scholarship.
- Read meticulously and completely through the website of the US-UK Fulbright Commission.
- Meet with the director of the Distinguished Scholarships Program to discuss ideas (appointments at DistinguishedScholarships@wsu.edu).
- Determine one choice from among the available Fulbright UK school opportunities.
- Carefully read through the notes provided about the specific Summer Institute program you have chosen, as well as the general terms and conditions that apply to each Summer Institute program.
- Open an application on the Embark system. You will continue working on this throughout the fall.
- Order transcripts from every college/university where you have received credit.
- Contact three references to ask for a letter of reference. Ask that a hard copy of the finished reference letter be provided two weeks before the deadline (typically mid February).
- Provide your references with a link to our web page with tips on writing strong letters of recommendation.
- Draft a Personal Statement essay and share with the director of the Distinguished Scholarships Program and others who are willing to critique. (Expect to complete several drafts before completing application process.)
- Consider the suggestions/questions offered in the FAQS available on the US-UK Fulbright Commission website.
- Ask professors and others who have been to the UK for tips/critique.
- Confirm you have met all the requirements as listed on the Fulbright UK webpage.
- Confirm you have met all the requirements as listed on the Fulbright webpage.
- Complete the online application. Be sure to fill in all required fields!
- Upload your transcripts to the online application.
- Confirm that your referees have completed the online review process.
- Proofread your work thoroughly.
- After you have proofread your online application, submit it at least one week before the national deadline.
If You Are Chosen to Attend the Summer Institute
- Complete the WSU Travel Registry.
- Contact the director of the Distinguished Scholarships Program regarding internal/external press release.
Past WSU Recipients
Prior Cougar recipients of Fulbright Summer Institutes to the U.K. have included: