On This Page
For a complete list of eligibility requirements, please consult the detailed information provided on the website of the US-UK Fulbright Commission. In general, students should:
- Be U.S. citizens.
- Be a freshman or sophomore at the start of the grant.
- Be in good health.
Applying for a UK Summer Institute Award
At Washington State University, students typically:
- Carefully determine their eligibility for this scholarship.
- Read meticulously and completely through the website of the US-UK Fulbright Commission.
- Meet with the director of the Distinguished Scholarships Program to discuss ideas (appointments at DistinguishedScholarships@wsu.edu).
- Determine one choice from among the available Fulbright UK school opportunities.
- Carefully read through the notes provided about the specific Summer Institute program you have chosen, as well as the general terms and conditions that apply to each Summer Institute program.
- Open an application on the Embark system. You will continue working on this throughout the fall.
- Order transcripts from every college/university where you have received credit.
- Contact three references to ask for a letter of reference. Ask that a hard copy of the finished reference letter be provided two weeks before the deadline (typically mid February).
- Provide your references with a link to our web page with tips on writing strong letters of recommendation.
- Draft a Personal Statement essay and share with the director of the Distinguished Scholarships Program and others who are willing to critique. (Expect to complete several drafts before completing application process.)
- Consider the suggestions/questions offered in the FAQS available on the US-UK Fulbright Commission website.
- Ask professors and others who have been to the UK for tips/critique.
- Confirm you have met all the requirements as listed on the Fulbright UK webpage.
- Confirm you have met all the requirements as listed on the Fulbright webpage.
- Complete the online application. Be sure to fill in all required fields!
- Upload your transcripts to the online application.
- Confirm that your referees have completed the online review process.
- Proofread your work thoroughly.
- After you have proofread your online application, submit it at least one week before the national deadline.
If You Are Chosen to Attend the Summer Institute
- Complete the WSU Travel Registry.
- Contact the director of the Distinguished Scholarships Program regarding internal/external press release.
Past WSU Recipients
|Year||First Name||Last Name||Topic||Study Abroad Location|
View Ava Beck's news release
|Ava||Beck||Identity and Nationhood||Wales|
View Alyssa Norris' news release
|Alyssa||Norris||Slavery and the Atlantic Heritage||England|
View Joanna Redmon's news release
|Joanna||Redmon||Scotland Identity, Culture, and Innovation||Scotland|
View Grace Reed's news release
|Grace||Reed||Creativity, Culture, History, and Heritage||England|