On This Page
For a complete list of eligibility requirements, please consult the Truman webpage. In general, students should:
- Be U.S. citizens.
- Be a full-time junior undergraduate at the time of application.
- Complete the Truman applicant checklist.
The WSU internal deadline is December 1.
At Washington State University, students typically:
- Carefully determine their eligibility for this scholarship.
- Read carefully and thoroughly through the Truman website.
- Meet with the Director of Distinguished Scholarships to discuss ideas (appointments at DistinguishedScholarships@wsu.edu).
- After your meeting, draft your answers to the questions asked in the application on your word processor.
- Forward your draft to the director by email for review.
- Contact two-three references to ask for a reference. Ask for a hard copy of these references one week before the WSU deadline (December 1) to be provided to the director. (Tips for writing references)
- Complete your application and turn in to the Director of Distinguished Scholarships by December 1. Include:
- 14 questions of application + your answers to these questions.
- Three letters of reference mailed in a sealed envelope to the Director of Distinguished Scholarships, CUE 519 (postal code 4530).
- Order transcripts from every college/university where you have received credit. These should be sent to:
Director, Distinguished Scholarships
Smith Center (CUE) 519
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-4530
- Reviews will be held with all applicants during the second week of school in January. Note:
- WSU may nominate only 4 applicants for the Truman Award.
- Nominees will receive online application details.
- WSU will write a letter of endorsement for each approved nominee.
- Turn in your recent photograph.
After the Internal WSU Review
Chosen WSU nominees:
- Complete your essay drafts.
- Complete the online application. Carefully fill in all required fields!
- Confirm that your referees have completed the online review process.
- Proofread your work thoroughly.
- Submit your online application at least one week before the national deadline.
After you have submitted your application
- The Director of Distinguished Scholarships will review the application thoroughly.
- If there’s a problem, the director will contact you by phone to correct it.
- The director will complete the online process and submit each application.
Past WSU Recipients
Past WSU Recipients
|Year||First (& Middle) Name||Last Name||Topic||Location Studied At||Finalist?|
|2022||Jonnie||Bray||Economics, Policy, and Law||Finalist|
View Patrick Robichaud's news release
View Alyssa Norris' news release
|1990||Jesse D.||Lyon||Agricultural Economics||Purdue University|
|1983||Jeffrey R.||Franks||Political Science, Economics||Princeton University|